Official Contest Rules
Just so everyone is on the same page!
Catch and photograph as many species of fish as you can, upload them to the roughfish.com contest page, and win fabulous prizes! You can start fishing at 12:01 June 1st and must stop fishing at 11:59 June 30th. All fish photos must contain the contest button or T-shirt. A temporary image may be provided for people who have not yet received their button.
The following rules must be followed for all entries:
- Species must be standard-sized. No micro species allowed. The official list is HERE.
- This is an angling-only contest. No bowfishing, snagging, spearing, shooting, poisoning, electrofishing, cast-netting, seining, trawling, noodling, mudding, grabbling, hippo-gunning, trotlining, jug-fishing, harpooning, rotenoning, or bayonetting. Fish may be hooked with fishhooks or with tooth-entangling devices (rope lures). All fish must be hooked on the inside of the mouth.
- The contest button or its equivalent must be visible in all photos.
- All specimens must be adult-sized. This means no egregious microfishing to pad your total. We will not hesitate to delete tiny specimens if this tactic is attempted.
- All fish must be caught legally by a licensed angler during an open season for the species caught. Fishing illegally is cheating; it is your responsibility to fish within the law. This means any fish caught while fishing illegally for any reason do not count.
- Fish must be caught personally by the individual contestant. No pooling or sharing of specimens.
- Any federally endangered or threatened species do not count and any submitted will be deleted, UNLESS there is a designated legal open angling season for the species in question AND the angler is fishing that open season legally. If such is the case, the angler may be asked for proof that they caught the fish legally.
- Each species counts only once; duplicates will be deleted. If you want to replace a previous entry, delete the old one and add the new one.
- All entries are subject to disqualification at the judge's discretion.
- All fish must be positively identifiable from the photo alone - no location data is applicable! The photo is just as important as the fish is - and in some cases, identification may not be possible from the submitted photo. In those cases, the fish will be disqualified.
- Hybrids ONLY count as one of the parent species when the parentage of the species in question is irrefutable, and may only count toward one of the parent species.
- Photos of dead or mishandled fishes are discouraged. Please treat the fishes with respect.
- Anyone caught cheating is subject to immediate and irreversible removal from the competition.
- Have fun!